Books

Get new posts straight to your inbox!

Wednesday, 27 August 2008

Village Fetes and shaving foam.

After having thought that there would be an easy blog following the village fete - lots of smug comments about people enjoying themselves whilst I looked down at them and sniggered - I actually had a great day and therefore feel both arrogant and humble.

No-one seemed to want to buy my home-made marmalade, no doubt having noticed that it was mainly in old gherkin jars that still smelt of vinegar, or Pataks curry jars, so that the marmalade had a cloudy turmeric tinge to it. But never mind as that means lots of Christmas presents taken care of. I was a little disappointed that I wasn't supported in my offer of organising a Sh*t the Penny game, as I am sure that that would have raised a fortune.

I managed to bribe Huw to come along to help on the helium balloon stand, for the promise of a bacon sandwich, but it all went a bit sour when he turned up just as the last bacon was being slapped in between some white sliced and handed to a fat bloke. But the balloon race was a success with about 80 kids standing in the middle of the field crying as their balloons flew up into the sky - apologies if anyone's cows are choking on the rubber at this time, but it will be in a good cause.

There will be prizes for the returns of the labels attached to the balloons - the winner being the one from furthest away. Huw is determined that his girls will win and is, as I type, driving up to John o'Groats to post Charlotte and Maude's labels. He will be gutted when he learns that the first prize is a copy of Chocolate Mousse and Two Spoons...

oh and the shaving foam bit is just a game I played with Charlotte that got out of hand - like most of our games seem to. I'm just hoping that it doesn't strip car paint...