Books

Tuesday 23 June 2009

Rev-ving up on the grid...

No, not that Grand Prax or whatever it's called, it's the countdown to the release of Eating Blackbirds!

It has come as a bit of a shock to the system to realise that it is just a few weeks away, as I tend to work at least six months behind where I should be at any particular point in time. I have booked myself a mini book signing at the Royal Welsh Show in the corner of the Welsh Books Council tent (aisle D, tues 12 p.m, be there or be square) so now have to just work out how to get there, what to do, how to do it etc.

One of my biggest dilemmas is actually getting to the Show. We live about 5 miles away, and last year at about half nine in the morning, there was a queue of stationary traffic sat on the main road, with people asking me things like, "is there a short cut?" "Yes," I said for a laugh, as I directed them on an extra loop, made them lose their place in the queue and caused them another two hours on top of what they had already done.

A lady at my publishers suggested I walk and although I think it was a joke, it might just be the best thing to do to make sure that I actually get there and back in the time that I have. I am therefore looking for a sandwich board type thing that I can advertise my signing on, and a pile of balloons to tie to my head to make me look a bit "stop me and buy one".

My only worry is that I meet the people who I sent off via a dead-end loop and they are prepared this time and so throw their flasks and bacon sandwiches at me...

So, in my quest for marketing my product, if anyone has any good ideas, please let me know! I am available for talks, writing articles, wearing balloons on my head and I may even give a copy to Prince Charles if he happens to walk by my stall, as that's the only thing I have thought of yet...